- Why PEI Potatoes
- Appetizers and Snacks
- Bread and Sweet Treats
- Comfort Food
- Cooking for One
- Entertaining and Holidays
- Fast Weeknight Meals
- Homegrown Recipes
- Kid Friendly
- Main Dishes
- Side Dishes
- Soups, Stews and Chowders
- Summer Grilling
- World Flavours
- PEI Potato Industry
- Contact Us
- Media Centre
Great for entertaining, as a main dish or a fun appetizer!
Prep Time & Yield
- 2.5lb baking potatoes - 1.3kg
- 1 cup Fat-free sour cream - 250 ml
- 1 1/2 cup Low fat refried beans (optional) - 398 ml
- 2 1/2 cup Mild or medium chunk salsa
- 1 cup Grated light old cheddar cheese - 250 ml
- 1/2 cup Grated light Monterey Jack cheese - 125 ml
- Wash and pierce potatoes. Leave skins on. Place each potato on a piece of paper towel.
- Microwave on high for 10-15 minutes or until done.
- Remove paper towel. With serrated knife, cut potatoes into 1/4 inch (5 mm) slices.
- Place sliced potatoes in a lightly greased 8x12 inch (3L) microwave-safe baking dish. Pour the sour cream over the potatoes. Top with salsa and grated cheese.
- Microwave for 4-1/2 minutes at medium-high power. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve. Leftovers keep well in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Cooking for just two? Halve the recipe and use an 8x8 inch pan.
To make this a main meal, add heart-healthy Mexican refried beans. Spoon them over the sour cream, top with salsa and cheese, microwave for 5 minutes at medium-high. Let sit 5 minutes and serve.
Nutrient Analysis Per Serving