- Why PEI Potatoes
- Appetizers and Snacks
- Bread and Sweet Treats
- Comfort Food
- Cooking for One
- Entertaining and Holidays
- Fast Weeknight Meals
- Homegrown Recipes
- Kid Friendly
- Main Dishes
- Side Dishes
- Soups, Stews and Chowders
- Summer Grilling
- World Flavours
- PEI Potato Industry
- Contact Us
- Media Centre
PEI Potato Roesti Pizza
A unique vegetarian, gluten-free pizza!
Prep Time & Yield
|2 large||PEI Russet Potatoes, grated|
|1 large||Egg White|
|1/4 tsp (1 ml)||Salt|
|1/4 tsp (1 ml)||Pepper|
|2 tbsp (30 ml)||Vegetable Oil|
|1/4 cup (50 ml)||Tomato Paste|
|1/4 cup (50 ml)||Barbeque Sauce|
|4 oz (114 g)||Goat Cheese or Feta Cheese, crumbled|
|1 pint (473 ml)||Cherry Tomatoes, halved lengthwise|
|1 cup (250 ml)||Mozzarella Cheese, grated|
|8||Basil leaves, julienned|
1. Preheat oven to 375 °F.
2. Lightly beat egg white and mix in with grated potato; season with salt & pepper.
3. Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat; add oil. Put potato mixture into the pan and flatten into a circular shape with a spatula; ensuring that potato holds it shape while it cooks.
4. Reduce heat to medium and cook the potato crust for 10 minutes. Be sure to give the pan a shake every few minutes to keep the potatoes from sticking – more oil can be added if needed.
5. Once the potato mixture has become firm, slide it out onto a dinner plate. Place another plate on top and flip the potato crust over. Slide the potato crust back into the pan (ensure the uncooked side is down) and cook for another 10 minutes, adding more oil as needed to prevent sticking.
6. During this cooking time you can prepare your toppings: mix together the tomato paste and BBQ sauce to make pizza sauce.
7. Once the potato roesti crust is browned, either transfer it to a baking sheet and add tomatoes and both cheeses or, if the skillet is oven safe, put your toppings right on the potato crust and place in the oven. Bake until heated through and the cheese is melted, approximately 10 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, garnish with basil; cut into wedges and serve immediately.
This potato crust can be topped the same as you would any pizza. Feel free to add your favorite meat, such as roasted chicken, bacon bits or even pepperoni.